Awakening to the Sound
Enlivening the Tone
As a trained singer, teacher, and founder of A Supple Voice singing school, I bring a creative mix of anthroposophically inspired singing (Werbeck Singing - The School of Uncovering the Voice), insights from traditional vocal pedagogy, and a creative understanding of healthy embodiment to support you in singing your soul into life. I also support Waldorf Teachers who find that singing is not their strongest skill set to feel more confident in singing to bring into the classroom.
A Supple Voice singing school offers a series of transformative foundational singing courses taught conveniently online. The first course starts with how to develop an understanding of the breath and how to work with it appropriately for the consciousness of the times we are living in today. This then leads to an understanding of the musical sound in foundational course number two, and then onto an understanding of integrating the speech sounds into singing in foundational course number three. Plus, more advanced courses to widen and expand the voice, understand the polarities in the voice, and reflection in the voice.
Shannon Boyce certified Uncovering the Voice teacher, will offer Foundational Course
“Awakening to the Sound Enlivening the Tone”
online this winter / spring from February 6th thru June 6th 2023.
This course comes straight out of the work of Valborg Werbeck-Sverdström, the founder of "The School of Uncovering the Voice" also known as Werbeck Singing, and her 11-year researching relationship with Rudolf Steiner.
New Students are welcome!
No previous experience required.
All are welcome whether you love to sing or long to sing.
There are two different sessions offered during the week to cover different time zones.
- how to move your breath naturally and eliminate patterns of holding and grasping.
- find balance in breathing, moving it away from the jammed-up place near your throat.
- exercises that will connect and lead you to a right relationship with your physical voice as well as deepen your relationship to your own inner voice.
- You will come to know the worlds of sound and tone and start to experience how they can move through you effortlessly.
- relaxation in your breath without falling asleep.
- inner harmony and peace within yourself.
- a new creative energy within yourself that will teach you to live in pure love.
- you will start to release trauma that has been bound up in your throat.
- you will gain more confidence to speak up both physically and emotionally.
- you will give birth to parts of yourself you’ve been longing to experience.
- You will find healing toward overcoming trauma that lives in the organs of your instrument.
What others have said about this course
As I keep doing these genius exercises, they penetrate deeper and deeper and I get more and more from them. Not only is my singing changing beyond recognition but these exercises are profoundly transforming me!! One even brought me to tears yesterday. It was so gentle and barely there but somehow managed to touch something deep inside. Thank you!! -Rebecca S.
Shannon, your unfailing enthusiasm and energy was impressive and inspiring. You are a gifted teacher and guide on this journey. -Laina C.
My voice is totally healing! I’m excited about singing for the first time in many years! -Teri A.
I got groundedness, insight into patterns of breathing and holding that I carry, new images and ways of understanding sound and tone, a sense of community, and discovery. I appreciated how insights gained from the exercises were related to/applicable to other areas of my life. I enjoyed learning to separate the tone from the speech formation, and learning how to engage my lower abdominal muscles in a lively, flexible way to support the breath. -Carol S.
I just want to say thank you! I’m loving the lessons. I am so grateful for how much you put in and give to all of us. -Cecilia L.
In this work, the singer and the process of singing are viewed holistically, inviting the singer to purse a deeper self-awareness through moving with confidence and joy toward discovering his or her own voice, with the aim of the natural opening and balance of the voice.
It is a gentle process, and the voice is never pushed along but develops slowly through the engagement and active participation of the singer, who gains a deeper understanding and manifestation of the truly free voice.
A wide range of specific singing exercises will be developed together along with a comprehensive study of Chapters 3 of Werbeck's book, "Uncovering the Voice: The Cleansing Power of Song". Werbeck calls this chapter, "The First Phase: Direction of the Sound". Click Here to see her book.
The course includes
accommodate multiple schedules and time zones two sessions will be offered each week. For deeper study and practice, one is welcome to repeat a session if your schedule allows.
Monday Nights 7:30-9:00 pm Eastern Time
- First class is February 6th
- Last class June 5th
- No class March 6th and 13th
- No class April 10th
No class May 29th
Tuesday Mornings 7:30-9:00 am Eastern Time
This section is to accommodate those in Asia and European time zones and for early risers in North and South America.
- First class February 7th
- Last class June 6th
- No class March 7th and 14th
- No class April 11th
- No class May 30th
Click Here to check the time for your time zone.
- All Group lessons are recorded for you to watch if you need to miss a live class, take the course asynchronously, or review a lesson for extra practice.
- Sections are subject to minimum enrollment. Should your choice of section not establish a minimum enrollment to run, the course can be taken by watching the weekly recording from another section.
- A link to the lesson calendar for scheduling your 4 sessions will be available to you on the confirmation page when you register or will be emailed to you.
- All private one on one lessons should be schedule 3-4 weeks apart and be completed by June 10th. With 24 hours notice, provisions can be made for rescheduling as needed through out the course should something come up. Hey life happens.
Recordings of the exercises so you can practice on your own.
Sliding scale available for those living in other parts of the world with a different level of economy than the USA. Please email email@example.com to inquire.
Payment plans also available.
1. What if I can’t attend all sessions?
All lessons are recorded and posted on a private password-protected website where you can view them later in the week for extra practice or make up a session you may have missed.
2. I'm interested, but I’m not sure about doing this online and committing to the full program. Can I have an introductory lesson first?
Yes, click here for a free self paced 3 day mini-course. (Check your spam folder if you don't get the email right away.)
or you can sign up for a free lesson taking place at the following times:
Saturday Morning, January 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM EASTERN TIME
Monday Night, January 23, 2023 at 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM EASTERN TIME
Wednesday Morning, January 25, 2023 at 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM EASTERN TIME
Wednesday Evening, January 25, 2023 at 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM EASTERN TIME
Friday Afternoon, January 27, 2023 at 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EASTERN TIME
Friday Evening, January 27, 2023 at 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM EASTERN TIME
Saturday Evening,January 28, 2023 at6:30 PM - 8:00 PM EASTERN TIME
Sunday Evening, January 29, 2023 at 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM EASTERN TIME
Tuesday Morning, January 31, 2023 at 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM EASTERN TIME
Wednesday Evening, February 1, 2023 at 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM EASTERN TIME
Saturday Afternoon, February 4, 2023 at 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM EASTERN TIME
Sunday Evening, February 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM EASTERN TIME
We will not be singing for the whole 90 minutes. The sessions will go by very quickly as we will be spending part of each lesson reading together and studying Werbeck's book.
While online fatigue is real, the singing exercises bring a counter-balancing effect which helps to build up your life forces. You will also be specifically instructed on how to work with this and use your electronic device strictly as only a tool to counteract and prevent online fatigue. Students are guided on how to set a boundary between themselves and the screen in front of them.
4. How does online singing work? What are the benefits and what are the drawbacks?
At its core, the benefits of this online course are the same as if you attended live in person. You will receive the same rich content that Werbeck has to teach us and learn the healing benefits of The School of Uncovering the Voice exercises. My objective as a teacher working with students online is to maintain the integrity of the work as no different than if we were working together in the same physical classroom.
The biggest drawback is that we don't get to be in the actual same room together balancing our listening to each other. So the listening experience will be different. However, I have been teaching online this way for over 5 years and I have found ways to help students still deepen their listening experiences even in their own living space being online at home. An added bonus is that those who could never give up a week's worth of time to travel and attend can now learn the exercises from the comfort of your own home and save on travel costs.
Testimonials from other online students